Only in Lynn

Monday, January 16, 2006

Egg Rock

I spent years gazing upon this rock while on Lynn Beach.

"Egg Rock, resembling a whale rising out of the ocean about a mile northeast of Nahant, Massachusetts, can be seen from many locations north of Boston from Winthrop to Marblehead. The island is about 80 feet high and three acres in area, with very little soil. Some believe that the Viking explorer Thorwald visited Nahant, a peninsula adjacent to the city of Lynn, in the 11th century."

From: http://www.lighthouse.cc/egg/history.html

Vikings in Nahant.
Come to mingle with the aborigines, Eh?

Lynn's not a big port. I've watched them dredge the harbor over the years and I guess that's one of the reasons. But it has always been a beach town. The causeway to Nahant is packed all summer. From Doans in Swampscott to Little Nahant it has always been wall to wall roasting flesh. It's was a huge playground. I spent my early summers at the Kings Beach. My grandmother used to taxi us right to northern edge of the beach. We'd spend the day in the tide pools and on the rocks. I later figured out this was my parents only time alone. With a new sister being born every year, privacy was at a premium.

a

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home